This edition: Waiting in the WingsTweet
Original tape date: March 26, 2010.
First aired: May 2, 2010.
Their roles as understudies on Broadway was the focal point for this panel of actors - Tony Carlin (”Lend Me A Tenor”), Bryan Fenkart (”Memphis”), Corinne Melançon (”Mamma Mia”), Jay Russell (”Our Town”) and Paul A. Schaefer (”The Phantom of the Opera”) - as they discussed the first time they went on as an understudy; what kind of preparation is involved for their roles; the differences of understudies, swings and stand-bys; whether or not they continue to audition for other roles; how they handle stepping into a role mid-performance and covering for a “name” performer; and how much of their own voice is given to a character when they perform the role.
Tony Carlin Actor
Bryan Fenkart Actor
Corinne Melancon Actress
Jay Russell Actor
Paul A. Schaefer Actor
Howard Sherman Moderator, American Theatre Wing
- Crafting Worlds: Theatrical Design
- Tuesday, February 12 - 4:30am
- Tuesday, February 19 - 4:30am
- New Writers, New Musicals: The 2009 Jonathan Larson® Grants
- Tuesday, January 29 - 4:30am
- Tuesday, February 5 - 4:30am
- Consolation and Provocation: Playwrights 2009
- Tuesday, January 22 - 4:30am