This edition: Apu Sansar: The World of Apu (1959)
Original tape date: May 22, 2017.
First aired: October 7, 2017.
(1959, India, Bengali w/English subt., b&w) Director: Satyajit Ray. Writers: Bibhutibhushan Bandyopadhyay (original story "Aparajito"), Satyajit Ray (screenplay) (as script). Stars: Soumitra Chatterjee, Sharmila Tagore, Alok Chakravarty.
Apu is a jobless former student dreaming vaguely of a future as a writer. An old college friend talks him into a visit up-country to a village wedding. This changes his life, for when the bridegroom turns out to be mad, Apu's friend asks him to become the husband. After initial revulsion at the idea, Apu agrees. Apu takes his exquisite bride, Aparna, back to Calcutta. But Aparna dies while giving birth, Apu leaves Calcutta, crazy with grief, and his son Kajal is left abandoned with his wife's parents. Only after a long period of total indifference to worldly responsibilities, does Apu become capable of returning to the world.
Discussion guest: Tejaswini Ganti, New York University.
Tejaswini Ganti Director of Graduate Studies; Associate Professor of Anthropology, New York University
- Apu Sansar: The World of Apu (1959)
- Saturday, September 22 - 9:00pm
- Sunday, September 23 - 9:00pm
- Aparajito: The Unvanquished (1956)
- Saturday, September 15 - 9:00pm
- Sunday, September 16 - 9:00pm
- Saturday, September 22 - 12:00am
- Pather Panchali: Song of the Little Road (1955)
- Saturday, September 8 - 9:00pm
- Sunday, September 9 - 9:00pm
- Saturday, September 15 - 12:00am
- Charulata (1964)
- Saturday, September 1 - 9:00pm
- Sunday, September 2 - 9:00pm
- Saturday, September 8 - 12:00am
- Getting Home (Luo Ye Gui Gen)
- Sunday, August 26 - 9:00pm
- Saturday, September 1 - 12:00am