This edition: The Pope's Toilet (El Bano Del Papa)
Original tape date: November 28, 2017.
First aired: December 2, 2017.
(90 min., Uruguay/ France/ Brazil/ 2007/ Drama/In Spanish with English subtitles)Directed by Cesar Charlone and Enrique Fernandez.It's 1988, and Melo, an Uruguayan town on the Brazilian border, awaits the visit of Pope John Paul II. 50,000 people are expected to attend, and the most humble locals believe that selling food and drink to the multitude will just about make them rich. Petty smuggler Beto thinks he has the best idea of all--he decides he will build a WC in front of his house and charge for its use. His efforts bring about unexpected consequences, and the final results will surprise everyone. An alternatingly touching, humorous and poignant story of human dignity and solidarity from director/scriptwriters Enrique Fernandez and noted cinematographer Cesar Charlone (Oscar-nominated "City of God"). Co-produced by Oscar-nominee Fernando Meirelles ("City of God", "The Constant Gardener").
Discussion guest: Kathleen Vernon, SUNY Stony Brook
Kathleen Vernon Undergraduate Director of the Hispanic Language and Literature Department, Stony Brook University/SUNY
- The Bigamist (1953)
- Saturday, March 16 - 9:00pm
- Sunday, March 17 - 9:00pm
- D.O.A. (1950)
- Saturday, March 9 - 9:00pm
- Sunday, March 10 - 9:00pm
- Saturday, March 16 - 12:00am
- And Then There Were None (1945)
- Saturday, March 2 - 9:00pm
- Sunday, March 3 - 9:00pm
- Saturday, March 9 - 12:00am
- The Kennel Murder Case (1933)
- Saturday, February 23 - 9:00pm
- Sunday, February 24 - 9:00pm
- Saturday, March 2 - 12:00am
- "The Rules of Game (La règle du jeu)" (1939)
- Sunday, February 17 - 9:00pm
- Saturday, February 23 - 12:00am