This edition: Science and GeneticsTweet
Original tape date: February 3, 2016.
First aired: March 1, 2016.
This month Science & U! is studying our DNA and how genetics can lead to certain diseases and cutting edge breakthroughs in treatment:
Carol Anne Riddell visits The New York Genome Center to get a basic understanding of our genes.
Dr. Max Gomez discovers that scientists now believe cancer to be a genetic disease, making revolutionary treatments a stronger possibility.
Tinabeth Pina finds out why our immune system sometimes attacks the body it is supposed to be keeping healthy and the role genetics plays in Auto-Immune Diseases.
Donna Hanover talks with Dr. Joseph Bauxbaum, Director of The Seaver Autism Center and Co-Founder of the Autism Sequencing Consortium about the groundbreaking genetic research in autism.
Magalie Laguerre-Wilkinson looks into the past with Dr. Harry Ostrer to see why one group of people may be more susceptible to certain diseases than others.
Lisa Beth Kovetz takes a personal look into Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy and the promising genetic treatments.
For More Information:
New York Genome Center - www.nygenome.org
Autism - icahn.mssm.edu/research/seaver
Star Bobatoon Mother
Joseph Buxbaum, Ph.D. Director, Seaver Autism Center, The Mount Sinai Hospital
Hurricane Gomez DMD Patient/Student
Peter K Gregersen, M.D. Director of Genomics and Human Genetics, The Feinstein Institute for Medical Research
Mahmoud Hamid Cancer Patient
Matthew Harms Neurology, Columbia University Medical Center
Brian Houck-Loomis Technology Innovation, The New York Genome Center
Dr. Sundar Jagannath The Mount Sinai Hospital
Harry Ostrer Professor of Pathology and Pediatrics, Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Dr. Samir Parekh The Mount Sinai Hospital
Carole Rhodes Lupus & APS Patient
- Season 6/Episode 5: May 2017
- Wednesday, December 12 - 9:00pm
- Thursday, December 13 - 10:30am, 4:30pm
- Saturday, December 15 - 11:30am
- Sunday, December 16 - 5:30pm
- Science & U!: The Best of Spring
- Wednesday, December 5 - 9:00pm
- Thursday, December 6 - 10:30am, 4:30pm
- Saturday, December 8 - 11:30am
- Sunday, December 9 - 5:30pm
- October 2017
- Wednesday, November 28 - 9:00pm
- Thursday, November 29 - 10:30am, 4:30pm
- Saturday, December 1 - 11:30am
- Sunday, December 2 - 5:30pm
- Science and Alternative Healing
- Wednesday, November 21 - 9:00pm
- Thursday, November 22 - 10:30am, 4:30pm
- Saturday, November 24 - 11:30am
- Sunday, November 25 - 5:30pm
- September 2017
- Saturday, November 17 - 11:30am
- Sunday, November 18 - 5:30pm