This edition: August 2017Tweet
Original tape date: July 4, 2017.
First aired: August 1, 2017.
Imagine foraging for food on top of the East River, well, that is now a reality. SWALE is a floating forest on a barge that travels throughout the five boroughs allowing city residents to pick fresh food for free.
Did you feel that vibration in your pocket? Better check that your phone isn’t buzzing….nope it isn’t? Why are we so obsessed with our phones and other types of technology? According to NYU Professor Adam Alter, we’re addicted and to make matters worse, the tech companies know we are.
Our story on addictive tech gets broken down even further when Dr. Edwin Salsitz of Mount Sinai-Beth Israel stops by our set to discuss addiction in detail.
Many of us want to look good by dressing up or trying a new hairstyle but it may be easier than fashion and lotions. Donna Hanover discovers that there are bacteria in our gastro-intestinal tracts that are a major part of how attractive we look.
The future of flight is already here but don’t expect it to carry humans just yet. Andrew Falzon visits the Intrepid Sea, Air, and Space Museum to check out their new exhibit, “Drones: Is The Sky The Limit?”
For More Information:
SWALE - www.swaleny.org
Addictive Tech - adamalterauthor.com
Micro-Organisms - erdmanlab.us
Drones - www.intrepidmuseum.org/drones
Adam Alter Author, “Irresistible: The Rise of Addictive Technology and the Business of Keeping Us Hooked”
Dr. Joseph Cione NOAA - National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration
Dr. Susan Erdman Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Brittany Gallahan SWALE
Adam Lisberg DJI
Liz Lund Water Engineer, SWALE
Mary Mattingly Founder, SWALE
Josh Nodiff Intern, SWALE
Edwin Salsitz, M.D. Mount Sinai-Beth Israel
- Season 6/Episode 5: May 2017
- Wednesday, December 12 - 9:00pm
- Thursday, December 13 - 10:30am, 4:30pm
- Saturday, December 15 - 11:30am
- Sunday, December 16 - 5:30pm
- Science & U!: The Best of Spring
- Wednesday, December 5 - 9:00pm
- Thursday, December 6 - 10:30am, 4:30pm
- Saturday, December 8 - 11:30am
- Sunday, December 9 - 5:30pm
- October 2017
- Wednesday, November 28 - 9:00pm
- Thursday, November 29 - 10:30am, 4:30pm
- Saturday, December 1 - 11:30am
- Sunday, December 2 - 5:30pm
- Science and Alternative Healing
- Wednesday, November 21 - 9:00pm
- Thursday, November 22 - 10:30am, 4:30pm
- Saturday, November 24 - 11:30am
- Sunday, November 25 - 5:30pm
- September 2017
- Saturday, November 17 - 11:30am
- Sunday, November 18 - 5:30pm