This edition: Science and the ArtsTweet
Original tape date: October 25, 2011.
First aired: October 25, 2011.
It may be hard to imagine what theatre, dance and even the circus have to do with science but in this episode we show you those connections and more.
Marlene Peralta goes extreme with Elizabeth Streb and takes you inside the Streb Lab for Action Mechanics where choreography meets science as these dancers challenge the laws of gravity for the sake of their show!
Lisa Beth Kovetz introduces us to a playwright whose science background influences her writing.
How do orchids and Broadway intersect? Donna Hanover meets a Broadway designer who uses his theatre background to help design an exhibit at the New York Botanical Garden that will have you cheering in the aisles.
Every wonder what the circus could teach you about science? Carol Anne Riddell has the answer.
And Barry Mitchell meets Odd Todd where science and cartoons collide on the drawing board!
For more information on our stories:
Streb - www.streb.org
Orchids - www.nybg.org
Circus - www.ringling.com www.nysci.org
Odd Todd - www.oddtodd.com
Joel Jeske Clown, Ringling Bros. Barnum & Bailey
Fabian Michelangeli Associate Curator, NY Botanical Garden Institute of Systematic Botany
Scott Pask Scenic Designer
Mike Richter Clown, Ringling Bros. Barnum & Bailey
Todd Rosenberg Animator
Richard N. Steinberg Professor of Physics and Secondary Education, City College/CUNY
Elizabeth Streb Choreographer, performer and teacher, STREB
Fabio Tavares da Silva Dancer, STREB
Kathryn Walat Playwright
- Science and Alternative Healing
- Wednesday, May 22 - 9:00pm
- Thursday, May 23 - 10:30am, 4:30pm
- Saturday, May 25 - 11:30am
- Sunday, May 26 - 5:30pm
- Science and the Brain
- Wednesday, May 29 - 9:00pm
- Thursday, May 30 - 10:30am, 4:30pm
- Science & Summer Fun
- Wednesday, June 12 - 9:00pm
- Thursday, June 13 - 10:30am, 4:30pm
- Saturday, June 15 - 11:30am
- Sunday, June 16 - 5:30pm
- Science and Exercise
- Wednesday, May 15 - 9:00pm
- Thursday, May 16 - 10:30am, 4:30pm
- Saturday, May 18 - 11:30am
- Science and Infertility
- Wednesday, May 8 - 9:00pm
- Thursday, May 9 - 10:30am, 4:30pm
- Saturday, May 11 - 11:30am
- Sunday, May 12 - 5:30pm
- March 2017
- Wednesday, May 1 - 9:00pm
- Thursday, May 2 - 10:30am, 4:30pm
- Saturday, May 4 - 11:30am
- Sunday, May 5 - 5:30pm
- Science and Water
- Wednesday, April 24 - 9:00pm
- Thursday, April 25 - 10:30am, 4:30pm
- Saturday, April 27 - 11:30am
- Sunday, April 28 - 5:30pm