This edition: September 2017Tweet
Original tape date: August 8, 2017.
First aired: September 6, 2017.
This month on Science & U!:
Technological advances have led to many interesting cultural behaviors. For example, cell phones gave way to the selfie, so what’s next? Tinabeth Piña went to Doob USA to get her own selfie, in 3D.
Prospect Park is finding a way to be even greener. Composting already exists all over New York City but not like this. Andrew Falzon discovers a bathroom in the park that is composting human waste into clean and usable soil.
Jumping out of a plane may be a little too risky for some but if you head over to iFLY in Yonkers you can get a similar feeling. Ari Goldberg learned the physics of Bodyflight from just five feet up.
The Brazilian Martial Arts of Jiu Jitsu is meant for smaller individuals with less strength to be able to defend themselves. Fortunately for them, science is on their side. Lisa Beth Kovetz heads to the Renzo Gracie studio in Astoria to see how these fighters use science and math in self-defense.
It’s amazing what can be done with glass, from sculptures to bottles. Mike Gilliam visited Brooklyn Glass to see first hand the process of making glass, blowing glass, and the making of neon signs.
For More Information:
Doob - https://www.doob3d.com
Composting - www1.nyc.gov/assets/dsny/zerowaste/residents/nyc-compost-project.shtml
iFLY - https://www.iflyworld.com
Jiu Jitsu - www.renzogracieastoria.com
Glassmaking - www.brooklynglass.com
David Ablon Co-Owner, Precision Neon
Christopher Andrade IFLY
Magno Gama Renzo Gracie - Astoria
Alden Maddry Architect, Prospect Park Alliance
Moiya McTier Physicist, Columbia University
Jonnie Rettele Production Coordinator, DOOB USA
Leo Tecosky Artist in Residence, Brooklyn Glass
Jeff Williams Business Manager, DOOB USA
- Science and Alternative Healing
- Wednesday, May 22 - 9:00pm
- Thursday, May 23 - 10:30am, 4:30pm
- Saturday, May 25 - 11:30am
- Sunday, May 26 - 5:30pm
- Science and the Brain
- Wednesday, May 29 - 9:00pm
- Thursday, May 30 - 10:30am, 4:30pm
- Science & Summer Fun
- Wednesday, June 12 - 9:00pm
- Thursday, June 13 - 10:30am, 4:30pm
- Saturday, June 15 - 11:30am
- Sunday, June 16 - 5:30pm
- Science and Exercise
- Wednesday, May 15 - 9:00pm
- Thursday, May 16 - 10:30am, 4:30pm
- Saturday, May 18 - 11:30am
- Science and Infertility
- Wednesday, May 8 - 9:00pm
- Thursday, May 9 - 10:30am, 4:30pm
- Saturday, May 11 - 11:30am
- Sunday, May 12 - 5:30pm
- March 2017
- Wednesday, May 1 - 9:00pm
- Thursday, May 2 - 10:30am, 4:30pm
- Saturday, May 4 - 11:30am
- Sunday, May 5 - 5:30pm
- Science and Water
- Wednesday, April 24 - 9:00pm
- Thursday, April 25 - 10:30am, 4:30pm
- Saturday, April 27 - 11:30am
- Sunday, April 28 - 5:30pm